Humana is an insurance company based in Louisville Kentucky. Previously known as Extendicare Inc, when it was first established in 1961, Humana has up to 60 years of experience in providing quality health services. Extendicare became the biggest nursing home company soon after creation and it was renamed in 1974 to Humana Inc. In the mid-1980s, the company began to offer affordable healthcare insurance plans. By 2019, Humana had about 16.667 million medical members and 5.4 million specialty members.
Humana is one of the biggest publicly traded health insurance companies, listed as HUM in the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). With almost $57 billion earned in revenues, Fortune 500 ranked Humana 56th on their 2019 list. Other important ratings from some most respected insurance rating agencies in the world include:
- Standard and Poor’s BBB+ rating
- Moody’s Investor Services’ Baa3
- Fitch Ratings’ BBB
- AM Best Company’s BBB-
The Humana Medicare Advantage Difference
Medicare Advantage plans cover hearing aids, dental and visual services which Original Medicare Parts A and B do not cover. Depending on the Humana MA plan you enroll for, you may get a full prescription drug plan. In this case, you won’t need to take out a separate Part D prescription drug plan as your Medicare Advantage already covers it.
Medicare Advantage is usually more affordable than Original Medicare in the long run. This is because it offers a more comprehensive range of benefits that you otherwise have to pay for out-of-pocket. Medicare Advantage plans charge a fixed copay for each doctor’s visit. With your Original Medicare, you will have to pay 20% of the total cost of your healthcare.
Humana Medicare Advantage Plans also cover for emergencies when you are outside the country. Most Humana MA Plans 2021 have a $0 monthly premium. Since the Federal Government pays Humana a certain amount for providing Medicare coverage, Humana can provide quality, comprehensive healthcare at affordable rates. The company also offers additional benefits so that you can keep fit and healthy. For Humana, your total health and wellness is everyone’s goal.
What Humana Medicare Advantage Offers in 2021
In 2021, Humana has a list of Medicare Advantage plans, all of which have the Humana special benefits, and are affordable. They include:
- Humana Gold Plus Health Maintenance Organization 2021 (HMO): The Humana HMO 2021 plan is designed to help you save as much out-of-pocket cost as possible. You could pay as little as $0 monthly premium. You have to get a Primary Care Provider and need referrals on occasions to see a specialist. However, there is an average annual plan out-of-pocket maximum of $5,900 when you use an in-network provider.
- Humana Choice Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) 2021: With a Humana PPO 2021 plan, you don’t need a PCP and you can visit a specialist within the network without a referral. You can also use out-of-network providers although this may attract some copay. The PPO plan is a bit costlier than HMO. However, it offers more flexibility and additional benefits such as free preventive screenings.
- Humana Gold Choice Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS): With the Humana PFFS 2021, there is no out-of-pocket cost when you use an in-network provider. The monthly premium is about $97 on average. You don’t need a referral and you can use out-of-network services and facilities as long as they accept Medicare and your plan’s payment.
- Humana Special Needs Plan (SNP): The Humana Special Needs Plan is designed for people with a chronic condition or long-term illness such as ESRD, heart disease, or diabetes. The plan offers emergency transport to a medical facility and dental, vision, and hearing aid coverage.
Humana Medicare Advantage HMO Plan 2021 Benefits
Humana Health Maintenance Organization plan uses a network of professionals and healthcare facilities including doctors, specialists, and hospitals. The network of resources is accessible to policyholders in each region at discounted rates and affordable copayment. With the plan, a policyholder will need to select a primary care physician who is the first contact in any case. The PCP also gives a referral when there’s a need to see a specialist. The primary requirement for an HMO is to use in-network providers except during cases of emergency.
Humana Medicare Advantage PPO Plan 2021 Benefits
If you don’t mind paying a little extra for more comprehensive care, Humana’s Medicare Advantage PPO plan may just be right for you. Without the need to use a PCP, get referrals, or necessarily use an in-network provider, PPO offers more flexibility for a slightly higher cost. Apart from the Original Medicare benefits, you get; additional benefits of Humana PPO include:
- Network home care services
- Free annual preventive screenings
- Gym membership and fitness programs
- Visual, dental, and hearing aid coverage
- Standard Part D Prescription drugs coverage
Humana Medicare Advantage Dental Plans 2021
While it seems like a small part of health, dental care is essential to overall health and wellness. An aching tooth can keep you awake all night. Humana provides a range of dental care services to suit the needs of families, companies, or individuals. Humana Medicare Advantage Dental Plans include:
- Humana Complete Dental Plan: This is a PPO plan that provides total coverage for preventive dental services. There is no waiting period so you get your preventive care immediately. The coverage includes 80% basic services and 50% major services after deductibles if you use an in-network provider.
- Humana Dental Loyalty Plus Plan: This is a PPO plan that gives rewards for loyalty. It increases your Humana benefits spanning 3 years. In the first year, each person gets a maximum coverage of $1,000 dental care services. This increases up to $1,500 in the third year.
- Humana Dental Value Plan: this is a Dental HMO plan that covers all preventive dental care. The plan has no deductibles, the maximum limit on coverage, or waiting period. There is a fixed fee and you know what it might cost you upfront.
- Humana Dental Preventive Plus Plan: This is a Humana MA plan that offers 100% preventive dental coverage with in-network providers. It has low deductibles and there is neither copayment nor waiting periods. You also get several discounts on major services.
- Humana Dental Savings Plus Plan: This is more of a discount program than a Medicare Advantage plan. There are no deductibles or copays and you get discounted rates for any dental care you get.
Comparing the Medicare Advantage 2021 Plan Options
Several Medicare Advantage Plans are offering similar benefits and coverages. Comparing these plans can get confusing as there are individual factors to consider. Even with all the additional benefits Humana offers, it can be difficult to make the right choice. If you would like some help comparing the plans and making the right choice, feel free to contact us at 844-943-1137. We’ll gladly answer your questions, help you consider your situation, and choose with you!