Are you seeking flexibility in your choice of doctors or hospitals? PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) plans are one type of Humana’s many Medicare Advantage plans. A PPO is an organization of medical professionals and providers who provide healthcare to clients at reduced rates.
Humana’s Medicare Advantage plans offer many extra services that you won’t find with Original Medicare. You can easily keep track of your health with our online portal and expand your knowledge by accessing our library of wellness resources.
PPO plans have the following benefits:
- Your choice of hospital and doctor
- They do not require a primary care physician
With a PPO plan, you don’t need a physician referral to see doctors or specialists outside of our network. However, you’ll generally pay lower out-of-pocket costs when you use in-network medical professionals.
PPO vs. HMO
You may have also heard the term HMO thrown around in discussions about health insurance. HMO, or Health Maintenance Organization plans, require you to use in-network providers. Our HMO plans let you choose a primary care physician who will work with you on your health goals.
These plans tend to have more affordable premiums than PPO plans. With an HMO plan, you have to get a referral from your primary doctor to see other doctors or specialists.
When you consider whether to get an HMO or PPO plan, you need to look at more than just the monthly premium to know if the plan will fit into your budget. You should also factor in the deductible, copayments, and coinsurance costs.
With Humana, you will also have a limit on how much you can spend annually on covered care whether you have an HMO or a PPO.
Humana PPO Cost and Coverage
Humana’s PPO plans include all of the perks of Original Medicare. You’ll also find:
- In-network home healthcare
- Prescription drug coverage in most plans
- Affordable premium rates
- Coverage for doctors outside of the Humana network
- Free annual preventive healthcare screenings
- Optional fitness and health programs
- Worldwide emergency coverage
The prescription drug coverage in our PPO plans is on par with the requirements for a Medicare Part D plan. For additional premiums, you can get drug, dental, and vision coverage added to your plan.
Our PPO plans have affordable copayments and out-of-pocket costs in the mid-range. The overall price of your care will depend on the type of plan you choose.
If you live in a rural area or are attached to your current doctor, a PPO plan may be right for you. You can visit your preferred professional and save money in the long run. Additionally, our global coverage for emergencies is sure to come in handy if you travel often.
You can keep your costs down with this plan by staying in-network whenever possible. Our copayments are predictable, so you always know what you’re going to pay for your doctor visits.
Additional Benefits Included
Depending on your PPO plan, you will have access to various other benefits with Humana. For instance, the HumanaChoice PPO includes hearing services such as regular screenings and hearing aid coverage.
You can also add on Humana’s PPO dental insurance plan, Preventive Plus. Preventive Plus covers basic services and preventive dental care for you and your family. This insurance has low deductibles and gives you access to over 70,000 dentist locations. It covers:
- The costs of emergency care and fillings
- Oral exams
- Other preventive services
Other additional benefits that are not included in Original Medicare are:
- Gym membership: Humana is a partner of SilverSneakers Fitness. Because of this, you get unlimited access to more than 16,000 gyms and fitness centers. If you want to start working out at home or can’t get to a fitness location, we also offer at-home fitness kits.
- Well Dine Meal Program: after an inpatient stay, join Humana’s meal program and take the pressure away from healthy eating.
- Go365 program: this wellness program powered by Humana allows you to get rewards for completing health and wellness activities. You can get the tools and support you need to live healthier, as well as resources for dealing with everyday stress.
- Nurse hotline: you can call our nurse hotline to get advice from registered nurses whenever you need it, 24/7.
How to Enroll
Once you’ve decided to join a Medicare Advantage plan, you can begin the enrollment process. Give us a call or fill out the form below to get started. Our team will be happy to answer any of your questions and help you explore your options to find the perfect plan for your needs.
When you apply, be prepared to give your Medicare number, as well as the date your Part A and B coverage began. There are three enrollment periods for Medicare Advantage:
1. Initial Enrollment Period: three months before you turn 65 through three months afterward.
2. Annual Enrollment Period: yearly from October 15th to December 7th
3. Open Enrollment Period: begins January 1st and ends March 3rd.
4. Special Enrollment Period: no scheduled date. You may qualify for this enrollment if you move, lose your health insurance, or go through other special situations.
You can also switch Medicare Advantage plans or leave a plan during certain enrollment periods.
Compare Plan Options
You can speak to one of our licensed health insurance agents if you need guidance or more information about Medicare options. Remember to ask yourself these questions during your search for a healthcare plan:
- How much will this cost once I factor in the premium and out-of-pocket expenses for my needs?
- Can I see my current doctor on this plan?
- Can I get all the additional services I want, such as dental or vision?
- What services are available in my area?
Contact us today for free plan comparison. Get advice on the best options to fit your medical needs and your budget.
Humana Medicare Advantage Plans
out of 5
based on 121 reviews